Potatoes will always be at an Irish table, but this one will go to anybody’s table. There are many things to add to potatoes and I love them all, but green onions are the first choice for this house. Double the recipe and be ready for breakfast by just warming the potatoes and top with a fried egg.
- 2 1/2 – 3 lbs. Baking Potatoes (Russet or Yukon Gold) (washed and peeled) *
- 1 C. Green Onions (chopped)
- 1 C. (approx.) boiling milk
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 T. Butter (approx.)
* (sometimes I do not peel the potatoes as shown here)
- Put the potatoes in a saucepan of cold water with a pinch of salt and bring to a boil
- When the potatoes are about half-cooked strain off two-thirds of the water, replace the lid and keep on a gentle heat allowing the potatoes to steam until they are full cooked.
- Chop the green onions
- When he potatoes are cooked, put on the milk and bring to a boil
- Pull the skin off the potatoes, mash quickly and beat in enough boiling milk to make a fluffy puree
- Stir in the chopped green onions and taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired
- Plate in a hot dish and top with butter
(Recipe from “Irish Traditional Cooking” by Darina Allen