Turn your simple rice into something exotic with a few simple ingredients. Coconut rice makes a great side dish for many spicy meat or fish dishes. I made this recently for a Caribbean dinner for friends and also cooked some black beans to accompany the meal. This side dish goes well with many Caribbean, Thai, Vietnamese or Indian entrees with just changing the type of rice, spices, sauces and garnishes. Every country has a few of its own ideas for Coconut Rice and what it is being served with. You can use this basic recipe and add many other goodies depending on the entree.
- 1 t. Coconut Oil (or Vegetable Oil)
- 1/4 C. Sweet Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 t. Garlic (minced)
- 1 C. Long Grain Rice
- 1 Can (14 oz.) Coconut Milk
- 2 oz. Water
- 1/4 t. Salt
- 1 T. Dry Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- Saute the onion and garlic in the oil in a pot (with a tight-fitting lid)
- Add to the pan the coconut milk, water, rice, shredded coconut and salt
- Bring to boil while stirring over medium high heat
- Reduce heat to simmer, put on lid of pot and let simmer until all liquid is gone (15-20 minutes)
- When liquid is completely reduced, turn off heat, leave cover on pot and let sit an additional 5-10 minutes
- When ready to serve fluff rice and put in a serving bowl or individual plates
* Coconut Rice is also used in quite a few desserts in the Caribbean which are scrumptious. If you would like to try one take a look at Coconut Almond Rice Pudding.