When I moved back to South Florida I was amazed that every grocery store I was in had rice pudding for sale. I had not thought of it or eaten in a hundred years. But of course every time I saw in a store, I bought it. I ate it for dessert, I ate it for a snack and I ate it for breakfast. It dawned on me one day I might make it myself and have it any day of the week, not just on shopping day. Brilliant! I must admit I never have wasted any leftover rice again and I usually make sure there will be extra rice for the following day’s dessert. A small amount of this rich and creamy dessert will satisfy the dessert “Monster” in you.
- 2 C. Cooked Rice
- 2 C. Milk
- 1 C. Heavy Cream
- 1/2 C. Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 t. Vanilla
- 1 T. Cinnamon (ground)
- 1 t. Nutmeg (ground)
- Maraschino cherries (for Garnish)
- Heat cooked rice, milk, heavy cream, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer while stirring n the vanilla.
- Cook until almost all of the milk is absorbed (about 30 minutes)
- Stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg
- Put into individual serving dishes (may be served warm at this time)
- Sprinkle individual servings with additional cinnamon and top with a cherry
Adapted from Slashfood